Winter Meetings: Day One Review
The first day of the annual winter meetings is complete. Here’s what happened:
– a bogus rumor circulated sending Mets fans in horror, reporting that Pat Burrell was on his way to Flushing.
– another bogus rumor had the Mets trading for Edwin Jackson. I feel bad for MetsToday reader Micalpalyn, who has been pining for this acquisition for two years.
– the Nationals acquired Brian Bruney. If they acquire a halfway decent closer, they’ll have a better bullpen (on paper) than the Mets. The trade also rekindles a fairly lame “feud” between Bruney and K-Rod.
– the Cardinals signed Brad Penny to a one-year deal. Penny + Dave Duncan = 15+ wins
– the Giants, Mariners, and Rockies are interested in the most athletic free-agent catcher. The Mets remain interested in Bengie Molina
– the Mets might be on the verge of offering Bengie Molina a one-year deal worth $6M plus a vesting option for 2011
– no one other than the Mets have displayed interest in Bengie Molina
– one source reported that the Mets were talking to JOSE Molina. Apparently they haven’t completely cornered the market on backup catchers who can’t hit a lick. Or maybe Omar Minaya thought he was talking to Bengie. They DO look similar, after all.
– Rafael Soriano accepted arbitration. The Braves now have the NL East’s best bullpen — to match the division’s best starting rotation one through five. How does that old philosophy go? You win with pitching, pitching and more what?
– the Brewers are on the verge of signing Randy Wolf to a three-year deal. If that’s what it takes, I’m glad the Mets are out of the bidding.
– Roy Halladay was rumored to be going to the Dodgers or the Rays, of all places
– the Rays are shopp(ach)ing Dioner Navarro
– the Mets are talking to Adam Kennedy. Now THAT’s a guy I’d pay $2M to be the infield utilityman.
– the Mets will meet with the agents for Randy Wolf, Joel Pineiro, Jason Marquis, and John Lackey during the meetings. Pineiro wants (giggle) a four-year deal.
– Matt Murton has been sold to the Hanshin Tigers of Japan
– the Mets inquired on Kelvim Escobar
– at least one source reports that the Mets are willing to trade Luis Castillo for Juan Pierre. Why not just put Castillo in left field?
– Elmer Dessens is weighing offers from the Mets, Dodgers, and Padres. Really?
– Pudge Rodriguez signed with the Nationals. You know what? I’m starting to worry about the Nats.