Every day, news swirling around the Mets becomes more depressing. Not surprisingly, the Flushing Hype Machine is clinging to any bit of positive information — no matter how trite — and pushing it fervently to keep fans’ hopes alive.
So I’m trying to decide which of these news items from the past week is most likely to get my heart racing:
– Jose Reyes is feeling good!
– Gary Matthews, Jr. is in “phenomenal shape”, and intent on proving everyone wrong this spring
– Fernando Martinez is lighting up the Caribbean World Series — against the same pitchers that Jesus Feliciano has hit .352 over a full season, and vs. whom Anderson Hernandez annually wins the batting title
– Jose Reyes is looking great!
– Omir Santos is prepared to be the full-time catcher
– the Mets are interested inTodd Wellemeyer
– Jose Reyes likes his trainers!
– the Mets still have a chance to sign Rod Barajas
– Carlos Muniz has returned to the organization, with an invite to spring training
– Jose Reyes is happy to be back!
– Val Pascucci has rejoined the organization
– Jose Reyes is “ready to play baseball” !
– the Mets may be the frontrunners for Hisanori Takahashi
– Keith Hernandez will help Daniel Murphy with his defense
– oh, and did I mention? Jose Reyes can’t wait for spring training!
Maybe it was simply a slow news week. Luckily there’s a football game on tonight.