Mets Game 70: Win Over Orioles

Mets 4 Orioles 3

As expected and per the biorhythms, the Mets sweep the Orioles.

Mets Game Notes

Due to work commitments, I was unable to view this game, so please post your comments so we can all discuss. Many thanks!

Next Mets Game

The Mets get a day off on Thursday, then face the Yankees for a three-game series beginning on Friday at 7:10 p.m. Jonathon Niese faces Andy Pettitte.

1. James June 21, 2012 at 7:09 am
    I liked your earlier comment sweep, get swept, sweep, rinse, repeat. Somehow I don’t think this weekend series will be a sweep. Are the Mets skipping the 5th starter so Santana and Dickey can both pitch this weekend? Dickey on Sunday night national tv would be a great setting for a no-hitter (I don’t want to have to wait until 2062 for the next No-No, just as I don’t wish to wait until 2048 for the next Rangers cup (do the math).

About last night…Wright has avoided the hit for 10 games, strike out for 10 games, rinse and repeat pattern of the last couple of years. Without him and Dickey this would be a woeful year! With them, amazingly, they are in the hunt. Davis had his hitting streak stopped. Gee was great. Parnell…well, he is looking like another Heath Bell, let’s trade him for someone more reliable. And Francisco…well I thought for sure they would lose last night, but that guys has ice in his veins when it’s on the line. I like him better than Benitez and Rodriguez because the expectations are lower. In fact, that is plain what I love about this team. I don’t expect much from these guys I never heard of one year ago, so whatever they produce I am happy. I am happier as a Met fan this year than in many a season. Would 88 wins net a wild card spot? With a good relief pitcher pick up anything is possible.

2. James June 21, 2012 at 7:09 am
    maybe I got Santana and Dickey reversed.
  3. Walnutz15 June 21, 2012 at 7:41 am
    “Ice in his veins when it’s on the line”?

Not sure if that’s sarcasm or not, but – last night was a pretty predictable script, at least in terms of Francisco’s performance.

He hadn’t been needed for a few days, and just as I got off the phone with my brother to declare, “this is going to be just as bad as you think it’s going to be” (since I hate “FrankFrank” – horrible nickname) – he promptly:

– gave up 2 hits
    – walked 2 batters, including the O’s 3rd run; and
    – a hard hit ball to 2nd base by Brian Roberts — that merficully put him out of his misery “closing it out”.

However, the good news is – Dillon Gee pitched very well again.

9 K’s / 2 Walks

The only consequential hit he gave up was a big-boy 2 run HR by Wilson Betemit in the 8th – and left the game up 4-2.

He’s also not rocking that ridiculous chin hair, and shaved it into a normal-looking beard.

Good job, DGee.

Now, I’d like to see a better showing put forth in the upcoming Subway Series. It’s about time the Mets actually show up to give them a game.

4. Dave June 21, 2012 at 8:34 am
    Joe if you see a replay of the game I’d be curious to get your take on Francisco. It looked like even when he was blowing the fastball by hitters, he was missing his spot by a foot or more with Nickeas setting up outside and the fastball beating hitters inside. It reminded me of “Good Ollie”, albeit with more velocity. Also, it was interesting and I am not sure about this, but it looked like they were only using one sign, even with a runner on second base. Maybe Francisco can’t remember sign sequences?
    • Walnutz15 June 21, 2012 at 9:44 am
      Could be possible, especially since he can’t hold base-runners on – or make solid throws to bases to record outs.

There’s just not much going on upstairs with Francisco; unless of course – there’s TOO much going on there, and he snaps…..to either bump and umpire, or fire a chair into the field level seats.

However, I digress….and readily admit to not being a fan of his.

Even with no expectation from Francisco, upon signing – it’s still beyond hard to watch a guy make $6MM/per season when he’s

– throwing wild-pitches, to move the tying runs into scoring position,
      – walking 2 hitters after allowing 2 hits

He did everything he could to ensure that the Orioles had a chance in the 9th.

While he’s been less awful of late, he’s simply not good…..and the team will go nowhere with him “closing out” games.

(Again, not expecting anything – but it will hurt them down the stretch. It already has.)

28 IP
      31 H
      13 BB
      30 K
      5.14 ERA

(Waves away the stink-lines.)

• Walnutz15 June 22, 2012 at 7:09 am
        Addendum:

…………….or something like this:

Mets closer Francisco eggs on Subway rival by calling Yankees ‘chickens’

“I can’t wait to face those chickens,” Mets closer Frank Francisco told The Post when asked about playing the Yankees in this weekend’s Subway Series at Citi Field. “I want to strike out the side against them. I’ve done it before.”

Before Francisco could elaborate on his “chickens” comment, after the Mets’ 4-3 victory over the Orioles on Wednesday, he buttoned up.

“I think I’ve said too much already,” he said.

Read more:

This guy’s a dolt.

5. Joe June 21, 2012 at 9:04 am
    Questionable out in the 8th in a big spot. As if Orioles didn’t give them enough with their misplay.

FF was hard to watch but he did get the save. As he did most times overall. He isn’t a top level closer. We didn’t expect one. The options available were slim and/or overpriced. But, so far, overall he has done his job.

Gee pitched well as he did more times than most. This time the team didn’t blow it for him.

Kevin filled in for Gary (kids graduating). A bit rough — various miscalls on game situation.

Time for the Mets to win a game or two this week.

• Joe June 21, 2012 at 9:04 am
      weekend.
    • NormE June 21, 2012 at 9:36 am
      Kevin was a bit off in spots, but given time he’ll be okay. The big thing with Gary is the effortless way he involves Ron and Keith. He has the ability to direct the commentary without getting in the way. Going back in time, he always made Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner better.
  6. Steven June 21, 2012 at 11:30 am
    Gee pitched a terrific game, and I think he has now shown in about 50 starts in his major league career that he is more like a third starter for most teams. I would take him in a heart beat over Mark Buehrle or Kuroda or almost any other third starter, even without taking into account salaries. Mets would be smart to lock him up like they did with Niese.

Interesting comment about Parnell, I think the Mets do need to start thinking about trading some of their players that are in demand in order to strengthen themselves up the middle. I would even package Duda along with Parnell and a prospect if it would land us a superstar like Andrew McCutchen who the Pirates just might be willing to trade before they lose him to free agency or have to give him the ten year deal he would probably command

• NormE June 21, 2012 at 11:47 am
      Nice thought about McCutchen, but he is signed thru 2017 with a club option for 2018.
    • Crozier June 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm
      Question being, if the Mets lock up Gee, what’s the five-man rotation next year, particularly if Harvey and Wheeler are ready? Assume Pelfrey won’t be back, but that’s still too many arms.
  7. Chris June 21, 2012 at 11:33 am
    In his last 10 games (incl last night) Francisco is 10 1/3 IP, 7H, 3BB, 2 ER, 10K, 6 Saves 1 Blown.
  8. DaveSchneck June 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm
    Nice thought but o chance on McCutchen.

Mets need to deal for an established 8th inning pitcher. KRod, even with baggage, could be best fit as he would cost little from the system (perhaps a Gorski) and only $$$, which Sandy swears he has (believe it when we seen it, perhaps the Santana commerative dirt is moving faster than we think).

I have doubted Gee but he is growing on me. If he goes 6+ with a 4.10 ERA and his peripherals, he is very servicable. AThe readings on his fastball seem to have improved to 91-92 at times, which is not the end all but he in not the soft tosser that he appeared to be. We’ll have to see how he holds up in the 2nd half, which was real bad last year. It is so nice to have a crowded rotation for a change.

Bring on the Highlanders.

9. Joe June 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm
    Maybe, it would be easier if he was making money like more than one closer and was on the disabled list, perhaps for the year? The guy closes games. Parnell didn’t seem to be able to do the job or maybe he’d be there making less.

The other options were more then they were going to pay (and looked rather overpriced overall). And, not all of them are even pitching at the moment. The bottom line is “if not him, who?”