Pretty Weak, Keith
During last night’s massacre in Miami, SNY accepted call-in questions from the TV audience. One of the callers asked Keith Hernandez if he were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, would he go in as a Met or a Cardinal.
The ever-diplomatic Hernandez skirted the question by stating it wouldn’t be up to him, because the Hall of Fame decides which hat a player is bronzed in.
But sidekick Gary Cohen pushed the issue, asking Keith if he had the choice, which would he choose?
Keith actually considered the question — measured it, in fact — before finally answering “the Mets”.
Are you kidding me, Keith? !!!!
Let’s see … there has to be at least ten reasons you should have immediately answered “Mets” on reflex, Keith:
1. The Mets are currently paying your salary.
2. The question was posed during a METS broadcast.
3. No one outside of Missouri knew who you were before joining the Mets.
4. The Mets are currently paying for your Tootsie Roll pops.
5. You look much better in blue than in red.
6. St. Louis remembers you for being a cokehead; New York remembers you for kissing Elaine.
7. Fred Wilpon is currently signing your checks.
8. You’re the best first baseman in Mets history; with the Cardinals you’re not even in the top 5.
9. The St. Louis cap would have to pair with that hideous afro — and afros don’t bronze well.
10. Did I mention that you were on the Mets’ payroll when asked the question?
Keith, it doesn’t matter how you really feel about the matter — WE DON’T CARE. Next time the question is posed, be smart and quickly answer “the Mets, of course!”.
BTW, the whole “call-in” idea is asinine, IMHO. Someone please inform SNY that there’s this newfangled thing called email that would work much better.