It was an eventful weekend for the Mets. For one, the ‘underdog’ took 2 out of 3 from the big bad Texas Rangers, as the Mets are now .500. As all Mets fans know, that .500 mark is a call for celebration. Here’s the weekend links and news, including some draft pick updates.
– New York Mets supplement pick, right-hander Michael Fulmer, has seemed to agree to a Mets contract. That according to his twitter. Fulmer is a big, high school arm who’s committed to Arkansas. This is a positive step for the Mets as its never easy to sign high school kids. The details of the contract have not been discussed.
– Jack Leathersich, 6th round pick out of UMass-Lowell, announced on Twitter that he signed to the Mets on Sunday. The lefty said he is heading to St. Lucie for a workout then is slated to debut for the Brooklyn Cyclones.
– Kevin Kernan of the New York Post wrote an excellent profile on Mets first round pick Brandon Nimmo.
– Is Jon Niese’s heartbeat something to worry about? Adam Rubin of ESPN New York thinks so.
– Ken Davidoff of Newsdays writes how the Mets are both courageous and crazy about Francisco Rodriguez.
About the Author
Kyle Schnitzer's biggest memory as a Mets fan is when Carlos Beltran went down on strike 3 against Adam Wainwright in game 7 of the NLCS. Since then, he hasn't expected much from the Mets. The new regime gives him hope. When he's not writing here, he's writing somewhere else, bussing tables, tweeting, or riding his bike. Follow him on Twitter: @dakyleschnitzer