Daily Mets Poll: Who Should Be Untouchable?

Yesterday’s poll asked if the Mets should go after Ted Lilly instead of Cliff Lee.

Today, I ask you this: Assuming the Mets will go after a quality veteran starting pitcher, which young players/prospects should be excluded from all trade discussions?

Granted, a specific pitcher will dictate a specific combination of prospects that will be offered. And when you factor in contract lengths, money owed and additional veterans that can be sent either way in a deal, the possibilities grow even more complex.

But which prospects should not even be considered as trade bait by Omar Minaya? In other words, who should be untouchable?

Which Mets Player/Prospect Should Be Untouchable?

• Ike Davis (32%, 438 Votes)
  • Jon Niese (25%, 338 Votes)
  • Angel Pagan (13%, 174 Votes)
  • Wilmer Flores (10%, 135 Votes)
  • Jenrry Mejia (10%, 131 Votes)
  • Reuben Tejada (7%, 95 Votes)
  • Fernando Martinez (3%, 35 Votes)
  • None of the Above (1%, 14 Votes)
  • Other (Specify in Comments Section) (0%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 534

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags:

1. Kerel Cooper June 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm
    I voted for Davis and Niese. Those are the only two I can’t see trading at this point. For the right deal I’d give up anyone else on this list.
  2. isuzudude June 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm
    I also chose Niese and Davis. Both are already showing their worthiness at the major league level and will be inexpensive to retain while producing at satisfactory levels for many years to come. Good teams who don’t having bottomless, gold-lined pockets need to build around these types of players and then complement them by adding the right amount of high-priced free agents. This way you have a team filled with productive players, of which only a handful are making big money, as opposed to trading all of your prospects and young talents for short-tenured veterans and then filling in the holes with high-priced free agents. Then you’re left with an unaffordable team with no minor league depth. i.e. 2002-2004.
  3. Nick June 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm
    I chose Davis. If they trade Davis, there will be blood…

As for Niese, i like him, but I could see him wrapped up in a deal for somebody. Though I wouldn’t want to deal him, you can’t declare everybody untouchable and expect to make a deal.

4. Mike June 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm
    I included Mejia and Flores in my list (in addition to the Davis/Niese duo). My reasoning is that Mejia is just 20 and has a ceiling of staff ace and has pitched in the major leagues already. This does not happen often. If he is left to develop for the next year at least he will be very good late 2011 for the Mets and going forward.

As for Flores, he is 18 and dominated the SALly, and is already dominating A+ ball. It will calm down again for him, but I can’t remember a young kid like that actually SUCCEEDING in the Mets system. Normally they are good but don’t succeed (ie Martinez). I’ll take my chances with him.

5. gary s. June 29, 2010 at 8:03 pm
    lebron james and the knicks will win a nba crown before the mets trade ike davis (lol) not gonna happen..
  6. mic June 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm
    Beltran is the key either he, pagan or Fmart goes. Then a whole bunch of intangibles apply…..Thole is the next chip you missed.
  7. John July 1, 2010 at 8:48 am
    Wilmer Flores can flat out hit. I saw him play in Savannah and the ball just jumps off his bat. On a very hot and humid night he hit a shot to right field to bring in the winning run in the 7th (?) inning. He also had a walk after fouling off a couple of tough pitches and hit two long flies.
    Niese has pitched well at the major league level as a rookie and he has always won at every level, and went deep into games. I don’t think you can discount that. Sometimes when you have a big lead the idea is to through strikes and let them hit it. Sometime some runs score but this saves the bullpen.
    Davis is the one I am not completely sold on. He steps in the bucket dramatically and it is tough to hit that way after they figure you out. Not to say he cant just not completely sold yet.