Draft Day Open Thread
The Mets selected RHP Matt Harvey out of North Carolina with the #7 pick in tonight’s MLB Amateur Draft.
Matt Cerrone at MetsBlog is reporting that Mets officials had the following praise for Harvey in a conference call to discuss the pick:
- He’s big, strong and durable, similar to Mike Pelfrey.
- He has a power arm, capable of throwing his fastball between 91 and 98 mph.
- His curve ball sits in 80s, his change-up in the low 80s, and and his slider in the mid-80s.
- He pitches off his fastball, but all of his pitches are usable.
- He has good command and control for his age.
- He was already very good in high school, but benefited from college coaching.
- He’s going to be a strike thrower, using both sides of the plate.
Matt also points out that Harvey is represented by Scott Boras…
Feel free to discuss and if you find anything interesting on the team’s upcoming picks, post it in the comments. I’ll be back and forth throughout the night and I’m sure Joe is working on some Janish-y analysis of Matt Harvey.