Mets Game 126: Loss To Cubs

Cubs 4 Mets 1

Sixteen hits in four games. It’s a miracle they won two.

Mets Game Notes

In case you were wondering, I was referring to the New York Mets, who collected exactly four hits in each of these four games against the Cubs. Is that some kind of record? Even back in the day when I started watching baseball — the late 1970s — it was uncommon for a team to collect only four hits in a game, four games in a row (actually, getting only four hits once in a row was somewhat unusual). It was rare for such a thing to happen twice against the same club, I think — but, then again, my memory is not so reliable. Maybe it was a common occurrence. But if it was, it was when dominant starters such as J.R. Richard, Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, and Vida Blue took the mound against lineups that included at least two or three (or four) easy outs IN ADDITION TO the pitcher — i.e., a Braves lineup that included Rowland Office, Pat Rockett, Joe Nolan, and Rod Gilbreath; or a Padres lineup that had Bob Davis, Mike Champion, and Tucker Ashford littering the bottom end. But for this to happen today? It has to be some kind of precedent. The Cubs pitchers are pretty good, but they’re not Koufax / Drysdale / Gibson / Jenkins. Maybe I’m making more of this than I should; maybe being held to just four hits in a game, four games in a row, against a club that was 18 games below .500, is more common than I suspect.

Carlos Torres jumped in for Bartolo Colon and did a yeoman’s job, as he always seems to do when put on the spot. He’s not a great pitcher, but he’s a good guy to have around — kind of like Tom Hausman or Terry Leach back in the day.

Buddy Carlyle let in the go-ahead run, and Jenrry Mejia allowed an extra two in the ninth. But no need to blame either, since the Mets only scored once.

Though, one has to wonder when the Mets will shut down Mejia, who is suffering multiple nagging injuries. Are they waiting for an arm strain of some sort to rear its ugly head before putting him on the DL? Is this some kind of test, to see how mentally tough he is? Do they keep running him out there because he’s their best closer option, and believe they’re still in the postseason hunt? I’m not sure what to make of this situation, and it gets more befuddling by the day. Surely there’s someone in AAA or AA who can be promoted for bullpen use. What about all the yakkety-yak we’d heard of fireballers Cory Mazzoni and Darin Gorski over the past few years? What about Chase Bradford or Jack Leathersich? Shouldn’t the Mets see if any of these guys might be options for 2015 now, rather than waiting until rosters expand and everyone has less-than-MLBers littering their rosters?

Next Mets Game

The Mets attempt to stroke more than four hits in a game against the Athletics in Oakland on Tuesday at 10:05 PM Right Coast Time. But guess what? The A’s pitchers are even better than those on the Cubs. Game one pits Dillon Gee against former Met Scott Kazmir.

1. Dan Capwell August 19, 2014 at 5:56 am
    I guess LaMar Johnson isn’t the answer either.
  2. micalpalyn August 19, 2014 at 9:19 am
    Nor Tery Collins………..
    PS: Wally is doing quite welll this year
    • Chris B August 19, 2014 at 1:22 pm
      Hello!!! Wally’s kids come up here and do nothing! Everyone needs to get a grip and realize he is not the next “Jesus” of baseball. Someone said it right I think on the radio, we seem to worship at his feet because he was a 1986 Met. If he wasn’t would we all be going gonzo for his promotion? Flores, Capt. Kirk, MDD, Campbell all come here after raking it at AAA and then can’t hit the broadside of a barn. Syndergaard is struggling. About the best thing to come from AAA this year has been whatever fixed Travis d’Arnaud and deGrom. Let’s bring up Dykstra, Reynolds, and Brown and watch them all go 1 for 20 before getting demoted.

You can’t pin those on Collins. And… while I’m at it…Collins can’t swing for Wright, Granderson, and Tejada. Nor can Collins magically touch Mejia and heal him of his injuries. Collins has made a few head scratchers (what manager doesn’t, especially HOFer Bobby Cox), this is all on Alderson and the Wilpons for not providing the talent and the players for not living up to their contracts.

• Joe Janish August 19, 2014 at 5:09 pm
        Well, you could take that one of two ways — either what Wally is doing down there to help “his kids” can’t be carried to MLB, or, the kids respond differently to Collins. Or maybe it’s neither.

I don’t think Wally being on the ’86 club has that much to do with why many would like to see him manage. If that were the case, there would be more noise about Lee Mazzilli, Tim Teufel, and Keith Hernandez. I think it’s more about Wally’s success at several levels throughout many years, as well as his personality.

I agree that the personnel stinks. However I do believe that a manager can affect wins and losses, and I’m not convinced that Collins has a positive effect.

3. crozier August 19, 2014 at 9:26 am
    Joe, you’re not keeping up. Look to the last game of the Washington series – they got 3 hits in that one. 5 games with 4 or fewer hits. Gary dutifully had his research team determine when that last occurred. His depressing finding? It was by the Mets, ten years ago.

I’m puzzled why Mejia pitched the ninth; was Famila not available? Unlike Mejia, he hadn’t pitched since Saturday. And unlike Mejia on Sunday, he was effective, as he usually is.

I’m also curious what you think of Niese pinch-hitting in the 5th. Fine, there were two out, but what kind of white flag is that when you acknowledge that there’s no point in trying to get a runner on base with the top of the order coming up?

• Walnutz15 August 19, 2014 at 10:32 am
      Thank you for pointing this out, crozier. Haven’t seen it discussed at all — and granted, it was an afternoon matinee (a boring one, at that) – however…….

I do find it interesting how often we see people across the blogospheres flying off the handle about a sacrifice bunt, or even squaring around for an attempt……yet hear literally nothing about things like yesterday – when seeing a manager literally waving a white flag during the 5th inning of a ballgame game, by sending a pitcher up to pinch hit for the pitcher he’s taking out of the game.

5th inning
      Nobody on
      2 out

………..fine, nuthin’ doin’………..

However, further fuel for “TerryBall” —- sitting there with your hands folded, and doing nothing to get the engine runnin’……..if not, getting completely rooked all-together by doing something stupid that gets called by the opposition, regardless.

He’d rather forfeit the out on Jon freakin’ Niese, than potentially use a guy on his bench to pinch-hit – and maybe get a guy on base for the top of the order to come back around?

Weak sauce, boy.

And really – don’t think part of this isn’t due to his hesitance about messing up with his bench later on in the game………which was quickly lost, within a half hour anyway. [Put further out of reach due to his insistence upon pitching Jenrry Mejia (who’s sucked for weeks) with a hernia.]

Much ado, sure…..but I’m sick of this weak-minded geriatric. It pains me to think they might actually bring him back again in 2015.

Just remember kids: “R.A. Dickey won a Cy Young with a hernia.”

……….yes, Terr — because he didn’t show signs of SUCKING when pitching with it.

• Joe Janish August 19, 2014 at 11:06 am
        Hey guys, my bad, I didn’t even see that part — thanks for pointing it out. I kind of gave it the ol’ Mets effort — watched bits and pieces of the game, didn’t pay close attention, just breezed through it.

I’m not sure why Niese would ever pinch-hit in any game, unless he was up there to sacrifice. Sounds like Terry was out-thinking the situation, perhaps preparing for an extra-inning affair. I’m at a loss.

• Walnutz15 August 19, 2014 at 11:19 am
          LOL – you’re right Joe. And thankfully, he was able to save us that extra bench player by trotting Niese up there to pinch-hit.

…………..crickets…………

That HR by Baez was freakin’ majestic, by the way. Still think a guy’s “healthy enough” when someone squares up his fastball into the 2nd deck, pulled into LF?

The NY media, for as passive aggressive as they are in their “stories” – is about as softball as it gets in post-game interrogations.

• Joe Janish August 19, 2014 at 11:14 am
      Crozier, I agree, I’m not keeping up. Rather, the Mets are keeping me down.

Thanks, I had forgotten about Thursday’s three-hitter. In defense of the Mets’ putrid offense, at least in THAT game they faced a guy who flashes no-hit stuff (Strasburg). No offense against immortals such as Travis Wood, Dan Straily, Jake Arrieta, and Kyle Hendricks, but, none of them remind me of Nolan Ryan.

My Niese response is below. Or above. I’m really not sure.

4. Yeats August 19, 2014 at 1:39 pm