June 20: Father’s Day Mets Links & Open Thread

Palm Beach Post – The Marlins decided to hand out vuvuzelas at last night’s game. The result was panned by critics and players as the worst giveaway idea ever.

NY Daily News – Wally Backman, Cory Vaughn and the Brooklyn Cyclones are 2-0.

NY Post – Jerry Manuel has thrown John Maine under the bus. Again. Classy.

Amazin’ Avenue – Sam Page on Omar Minaya, former Expos, John Maine and Jerry Manuel making roster decisions. The best Mets-related post you’ll read all day.

ESPN New York – Mark Simon says Johan Santana isn’t putting hitters away with two strikes.

Bronx Brass Tacks -Yankee blogger Ryan Tandy lectures Mets fans on the art of winning, the danger of Jose Reyes waking sleeping giants, and an instance of giraffe-speak.

Brooklyn Met Fan – BMF says yesterday’s loss was acceptable.

Long Live Shea Stadium – A scouting report on today’s Yankees’ starter, C.C. Sabathia.

TODAY’S GAME

The Mets (39-29) will play the Yankees (42-26) in the rubber game of the subway series this afternoon. Johan Santana (5-3, 3.13) will face C.C. Sabathia (7-3, 4.00). First pitch at 1:05pm.

Discuss…

BONUS VIDEO: This is from last night’s Marlins-Rays game. Listen to those vuvuzelas… UGH.

Gameday Open Thread, Link Dump

About the Author

John Fitzgerald is an independent film/TV producer. In 2007, he followed former Mets 2B Wally Backman and his minor league team for the TV show, "Playing for Peanuts." Click here for DVD ordering information NOTE: $5 from each sale goes to maintenance costs of MetsToday.com

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed.

Comments

7 Responses to “June 20: Father’s Day Mets Links & Open Thread”
  • Hasn't some major sports organization banned vuvuzellas because of this?
  • John says:
    I think Jerry thinks the only way he can get the roster he wants is to do it in public. Manaya doesn't seem to listen to him any other way.
  • isuzudude says:
    Regarding Ryan Tandy's article:
    It's just more of the conceited talk we've come to expect from biased Yankee fans who will always label the "immature" things the Mets do as "classy" and "firey" if done by the Yankees. Examples? Well, Reyes can't celebrate home runs, and the Mets generally have to play like a bunch of zombies in order to not "wake up sleeping giants," yet would be criticized for doing exactly that for not having enough heart. Nevermind the theatrics Joba, Arod, and company display, because, frankly, the Yankees are champions and they're allowed to get away with whatever they want. Also, the Mets home run apple is childish and stupid, but the Bleacher Creatures' annoying chants and the droning doorbell sound the plays whenever the Yankees score a run – even when the home team is or down by 10 runs – are parts of tradition and enhance the enjoyment of the crowd. And then imply that it's cute when they Mets dominate a 4-0 series opening victory, since the Yankees are such a lock to win the next 2, is so condescending it defies description. Hey moron – the Mets won 2 of 3 from your champions at CitiField. Did you find that cute, as well?

Yankee fans need to learn to stop lecturing other fans as if they are the kings and queens of the sports world. You deserve no credit for latching on to the highest spending team in sports history, nor do you earn a degree in proper fan/team etiquette because you chose to ride the bandwagon.

• Tandy says:
    I object to your objections on the grounds that my biases (biasi?) are anything but typical.

I don't remember the Yanks celebrating like chimps on ecstasy when they swept them out of the Citi in '09. That's the only lesson, IMHO. The business-like demeanor that Met fans deride the Yanks for is only the kind of self-control that gives NOTHING to the other team to build on. Jose Reyes is an exciting player. Probably the most consistently exciting player in NY right now. That's an unbiased statement based on fact. Last night, he was on his own.

Like I mentioned in the article, Mark Teixeira and Joba Chamberlain came into the game looking stale and forlorn, but went home on fire. It's Sunday afternoon and Teixeira just hit a grand slam. This is the feistiest I've seen Tex in a while. And so, I thank you Mets.

Actually, regarding the "painful" home run apple, I was going to mention that Brett Gardner launched one on to the Pepsi Porch last year at Citi Field but I considered that overkill at the time OOPS, did I just mention that? I'm all FOR goofy promotions. Lord knows I've hit the jalapenos at the Citi Field fixin's bar like I just came off a hunger strike.

And yes, I consider two of three at Citi Field "cute", in May. Kudos to the Mets, they come into the series as one of the hottest teams in baseball. I'm interested in seeing how they leave it.

• John Fitzgerald says:
    I agree that Yankees fans can be as conceited as they come, but Reyes' behavior is just childish. I've seen plenty of players get buzzed for much less than Jose's histrionics.
  • John Fitzgerald says:
    I hadn't heard about anyone banning vuvuzellas. But then again, I hadn't even heard of vuvuzellas until the World Cup. So you're probably right.
  • John Fitzgerald says:
    You may be right – and that's a sad commentary on the manager/GM relationship.