Why Rick Peterson Wears a Jacket
Some questions answered, some more proposed, and various trivia …
– Why does Rick Peterson wear a jacket all the time, even in hot weather? Easy — his spot in the dugout is right in front of the Mets’ bat rack (it’s VERY cold over there).
– Interesting, isn’t it, that 49-year-old Julio Franco is nearly fifteen years older than Carlos Delgado, yet dances around the field like a teenager while Delgado looks ready for a wheelchair.
– Would you trade Mike Pelfrey and Lastings Milledge for Mark Buehrle?
– How about Pelfrey, Milledge, AND Philip Humber for Mark Teixeira? (even that might not be enough)
– New Orleans first baseman Andy Tracy has 16 homeruns, 52 RBI and is batting .296 in 64 games. He’s hitting a homerun every 14 at-bats. Does anyone care?
– On the same team, 2B Jake Gautreau is hitting .346 — but his OBP is identical as he’s walked only once in 21 games (81 ABs).
– The Mets have won three times this month.
– Also this month, Carlos Beltran has eight hits — one for extra bases — and 2 RBI. One of those RBI, though, is driving in himself with his one extra-base hit (a two-run homer).
– For the first time in eleven years, Carlos Delgado is on pace to collect more strikeouts (61) than hits (58).
– When playing second base, Damion Easley has 6 homeruns in 109 at-bats, while Ruben Gotay has 3 in 34 ABs.
– After running the count to 3-1, Gotay is batting .600; Jose Reyes hits .158 after the same count.
– Carlos Gomez is 4-for-7 (.571) when hitting on a 1-1 count.
– So glad I’m not the only one who hates watching the Mets on ESPN. Check out Fear and Faith in Flushing for some of the Morganisms and other malaprops I missed.