Fearless Free Agent Predictions
With the Hot Stove Season in full effect, and free agents dancing around the open market, I give you my fearless free agent predictions for this offseason.
1. Jim Thome will sign with the Phillies
Hey! I already got one right!
2. Brad Lidge will sign with the Mets
Lidge will be the last closer standing come January, and be signed to a cheap, one-year deal. Sandy Alderson will be lauded for making such a “smart” move.
3. The Marlins will sign one of Jose Reyes, Albert Pujols, or Prince Fielder.
Jeffrey Loria has been saving his pennies for several years, and now has a new stadium to open. If Reyes gets “Crawford money”, it’s likely to come from Miami.
4. C.J. Wilson will sign with the Yankees.
Wilson’s tenure in Manhattan will fare somewhere in between those experienced by Carl Pavano and A.J. Burnett.
5. The Yankees will also sign J.D. Drew, J.D. Durbin, and J.C. Romero, J.R. Towles, and J.D. Martin, while trading for J.A. Happ and B.J. Upton.
The Bronx Bombers will attempt to corner the market on all players who use initials as their first name, but fail in repeated attempts to pry R.A. Dickey away from the Mets. Additionally, F.P. Santangelo will be added to the broadcast booth, J.J. Walker to the coaching staff, and B.B. King will play a bluesy version of the National Anthem.
6. Carlos Beltran will either re-sign with the Giants, or sign with the Boston Red Sox.
I’m seeing a return to San Francisco – which could also lead to him joining a former Mets teammate …
7. Jose Reyes will sign with the Marlins, Giants, Phillies, Nationals, or Brewers.
I know, it’s not much of a prediction when you name 1/6th of MLB. My gut tells me he stays in the NL East — did that narrow it down enough?
8. The Phillies will sign Heath Bell, Michael Cuddyer, and Josh Willingham, and re-sign Ryan Madson.
With that window of opportunity closing fast, the Phillies once again go all in to make the postseason.
9. The Braves will sign Rick Ankiel, and the Nationals will sign Nate McLouth.
Fans will be confused, thinking it was a trade. Neither will benefit from “a fresh start in a new environment”.
10. Jamey Carroll will sign with someone.
And no one will care.
OK, that’s my version of playing Nostradamus .What say you? Post your predictions in the comments.