Blog Roundup: David Wright and other News
So, the offseason of David Wright and R.A. Dickey is underway, and in full force. According to Metsblog, the Mets will begin negotiations with Wright by offering him a deal that will keep him around until 2020. I agree with Matt Cerrone’s take on what the offer will look like. Most likely, 2020 will be an option, and it will be heavily negotiated.
Read the recent posts here on Mets Today for opinions on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. My thought is that 2013 is going to be like the last 2 seasons: 70-75 wins, and the Mets will remain rather stagnant on the trade/free agent market. Johan Santana and Jason Bay will come off the ledger following 2013. That means the Mets will be more flexible to spend heading into the 2014 season. I believe the offseason between 2013 and 2014 is the front office’s focus. In addition to whomever they acquire that offseason, they will still want David Wright to anchor third base.
- Metsblog has the aforementioned story on Wright’s contract.
- Jon Heyman also believes that the Mets want to sign Dickey to no more than a 2-year deal.
- Bleacher Report focuses on who the Mets should bring into their outfield. Angel Pagan, anyone?
- Rant Sports addresses the top five holes the Mets have to fill.
- Faith and Fear looks at how competitive the Mets have been in the postseason, on those rare occasions they’ve been there.
- Kranepool Society had a podcast with none other than…Ed Kranepool! I still have a baseball that Eddie autographed for me at the old outdoor Garden State Plaza when I was a kid.
- Patrick Flood is his own entity again, but no less enjoyable to read.
Things seem to be happening quickly this offseason, so keep checking up on the drama here on Mets Today.