Glavine Hem-Haw Part Two
We were too quick to jump the gun on the Tom Glavine situation.
Although we were correct in believing that he’d decline the $13M option to pitch for the Mets next season, apparently he’s still undecided about what he’ll be doing in 2008.
According to the Mets.com website:
“No one who’s been around me all season could be surprised,” Glavine said, “because I’ve said all along that I had no idea what I was going to do and that I’d need time to think it over. Five days was never going to be enough time.
“And after what happened Sunday, I’m sure I need more time.”
Glavine said that his decisions — whether to pitch, and whether to pitch for the Mets — probably would come at about the same time he decided last year to return to the Mets, in late November or early December, but no earlier than the end of this month.
“I don’t know. There’s a lot of things to consider,” he said.
Glavine is also unsure if returning to the Braves is a possibility. Atlanta made no effort to re-sign him last winter and apparently still has fiscal restraints despite freeing Andruw Jones and thus making significant money available to spend in other areas.
Glavine said that the Mets want him to return.
“I’ve spoken to Jeff twice and [GM] Omar [Minaya] once,” he said. “I didn’t get the impression they didn’t want me back.”
Personally, I’d be very surprised if he pitched in 2008 as a Met. My hunch is he’ll be a Brave, and pitching, next season.
Hopefully, Omar Minaya and co. will move forward with the idea that Glavine is NOT part of the Mets’ 2008 plans. While he can probably be counted on to make 30+ starts, and throw 200+ innings, he likely won’t be top-three starter material. Best to plan without him, and then if by some stroke of fortune he chooses to pitch in New York next year, he can be the fifth starter. But the Mets can’t do what they did last winter — simply wait around sitting on their hands waiting for Glavine to decide whether he’d come back.