Mets Game 130: Win Over Phillies

Mets 5 Phillies 0

Mets finally on the right side of a shutout.

Mets Game Notes

I’m not gonna lie — I zipped through this game on the DVR after the fact. The only reason did that much was because I was intrigued by the fact they scored five runs without David Wright, Marlon Byrd, and John Buck. Luckily, they had Jonathon Niese in the lineup, who did a great impersonation of Cody Webster.

Niese was brilliant on the mound, hurling a three-hit shutout, and drove in three runs to help his own cause. Something tells me that for the Mets to win more than they lose going forward, the pitchers will need to step up similarly.

That’s all I have. Please post your notes in the comments.

Next Mets Game

The Mets and Phillies do it again at 7:10 PM on Wednesday night. Daisuke Matsuzaka takes the ball against Cole Hamels.

Next Mets Game

1. murph August 28, 2013 at 12:51 am
    Jon Neise’s performance is the definition of STEPPING UP.

With Wright & Harvey disabled, and Byrd & Buck traded, the Mets were clearly in need of new leadership.
    Neise filled that leadership void, at least for one night, with an awesome performance:
    3-hit complete game shutout while driving in 3 of the 5 runs.

Reminiscent of Santana’s performance in game 161 of 2008, except Santana’s game actually meant something, albeit all for naught.

2. wohjr August 28, 2013 at 2:33 am
    SNY crew seemed sure that wilmer would be replacing murphy at second and getting the bulk of starts down the stretch. Was danny put on waivers? And then who plays third? JT?
  3. DanB August 28, 2013 at 6:26 am
    Kudos to the Mets for including cash in the deal with the Pirates. I was surprised they actually did that. I am glad they did the trade as I am sure the Pirates fans are. For the price of their #11 prospect they put themselves in the position to make the playoffs. Where is Sister Sledge these days?
  4. DanB August 28, 2013 at 11:35 am
    How come the Byrd/Buck trade is being lauded but there is no criticism of not trading Hairs ton, Capuano, Izy, et. al? I thought trading for single A prospects is not worth it? EExcuse me as I hit my head against the wall.
    • chris August 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm
      No reason to beat a dead horse, or your head against the wall. At least the Mutts finally did something right.
    • crozier August 28, 2013 at 2:35 pm
      I get that you’re being sarcastic, but it’s not clear to me who your targets are.

It’s fine to say the Mets “did” something. It’s another thing to put value on it, because its value is theoretical in a way that, say, Beltran-for-Wheeler was not. Sure, I hope it proves beneficial. Guess we can discuss in 2016.

Best Alderson comment: “I don’t think this deal changes anything.” I don’t know how to parse that. I’ll leave that for someone else to figure out.

• Joe August 28, 2013 at 11:48 pm
      The trade will get someone who played in the futures game AND it looks like a top AAA reliever who played a few games in the MLB and is getting high marks (as did the other player). It is unclear that Hairston et. al. would have obtained such in return. And, the Mets want to give Dekker more playing time. And, there was some criticism about the other people, though don’t recall a top AAA reliever getting talk of closer stuff as possible return for them.

Of course, we can just assume Alderson is lying, and that there was good return possible last year too.

5. DaveSchneck August 28, 2013 at 1:57 pm
    Joe,
    Also of note regarding Niese’s offensive outburst is that he ran through a stop sign by Tuefel to score the first run of the game in the bottom of the 3rd. The catcher gave up on the play but well could have been out by a mile. Luckily the catcher was lame, no way the Mets needed Niese in a collision that injured another starter. Looking at that lineup, I’m sure Niese was thinking this may his only chance to get a run. Anyhow, anytime a guy throws a complete game shutout in the show it is an accomplishment, and Niese also gave TDA a lot of kudos after the game, which is a good sign even if Travis isn’t hitting all that much yet.
  6. argonbunnies August 28, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    From what I saw, Niese kept his arm slot up, getting some sink on his fastball and cutter and maintaining a decent curve.

d’Arnaud seems to have an excellent idea of what pitches to swing at, but his swing is long and he’s not hitting anything squarely. I’m hoping he and Flores are merely cold at the moment, but it sure looks like another bunch of not-quite-good-enough Mets hitting prospects a la Duda.

Speaking of Duda, he’s probably better than what the Rays and O’s are running out there at DH; time for another trade? Rays have minor league pitching to spare.

• crozier August 28, 2013 at 8:59 pm
      I always read your comments with interest, argon, but jeez, you do rush to judgement at times. Maybe I’m slow, but I didn’t draw my conclusions about Duda until last year, and you know what? I might still be wrong. Though I doubt it. Flores and d’Arnaud? I’ll give them another 250 AB’s or so.
  7. Timo August 28, 2013 at 8:58 pm
    Argo…to quote the great Columbo in his 70′s movie the in-laws ” another pitcher, all the mets have is pitching”. We need position help or bat our pitchers 4th.
    Mets are shedding money still. I wouldn’t be surprised if Flores replaces Murphy & Duda/Satin replace Ike because of money.
    It looks to be another rebuilding year next year.