Mets Games 156 and 157: Loss To Reds, Win Over Reds

Reds 3 Mets 2

Mets 4 Reds 2

I missed both of these games due to work activities. Shame, because finally we have meaningful games to watch in September. The Reds trying to win to grab a division title, the Mets trying to lose to grab a protected pick in next June’s draft. Please post your comments on either / both games below.

As for tonight’s game, I may miss that one too. It’s a busy week in the wine business.

1. crozier September 25, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    Comments regarding 9/23 game:

If I were GM, I’d levy a $10,000 fine on Collins every time someone was caught stealing third with 2 out. One of the dumbest moves in baseball, and I’ve seen the Mets do it multiple times this year.

Paraphrasing Howie on Murph:
    Murphy’s now tied with Andrew McCutchen for hits. Everyone talks about McCutchen, but Murphy’s right up there with him.

Possibly the most asinine comment I’ve heard yet on FAN.

Not much else to say about the Mets; they aren’t very interesting to watch at this point. And the Reds just look tired.

2. DanB September 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    Joe, your post reminds me of how newspapers now report the Met games with one or two sentence wrap ups. Sigh…..Hats off to you for keeping at it. By the way, congrats to the Mets for winning their 72cd game. I guessed 71 wins. They got more out of Harvey and the starting pitching then I thought they would.
  3. Wohjr September 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    I had them at 74 wins which is gonna be close. Here’s to hoping for some brighter days ahead
    • argonbunnies September 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm
      I think I said 72 to 77 wins. Was there a thread on here about this?
  4. DaveSchneck September 25, 2013 at 6:49 pm
    Howie is getting a little punch drunk at this point in the season.

I had the Mets down for 70 wins, so this season has obviously far exceeded my wildest expectations.

I agree with the comment above about being the 3rd out at 3B. The manager should make this statement on the first day of camp – Any player guilty of this little league infraction should be immediately removed from the game and benched for the next game, regardless of anything. Oh what Gil Hodges would think.

• crozier September 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm
      What would Gil Hodges think?

He’d be like, “WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DO–”

[clutches chest, dies]

5. argonbunnies September 25, 2013 at 8:43 pm
    I was all for EY Jr. stealing 3rd regardless of the outs. If he’s caught, it helps the Mets get closer to a loss and a better draft pick, and if he’s safe, he’s closer to putting “2013 NL SB leader” on his FA/arbitration resume. The move made perfect sense.

Every other time a Met has done it this year, though, not so much.

Hey, was anyone else stunned by how badly the Reds played in this series? The Pirates have looked bad lately too. It seems like someone should hand the Cardinals a pass to the LCS right now instead of dragging out a meaningless Reds-Bucs series plus WC game to determine who the Cards get to stomp. Yech.

• crozier September 25, 2013 at 9:10 pm
      That they scraped one win –barely – out of three to a AAA team when they should be mowing down lousy teams to secure the “prime” wild card slot? Disgraceful, to say the least. Joe J, closet Cincinnati fan who recently considered changing this blog to Reds Today, can hardly bring himself to comment.
      • Joe Janish September 26, 2013 at 10:28 am
        Honestly, I wanted to watch these games and had considered going out to Cincy again to see them live, but a winemaker invaded my life this week — and, well, that’s how I pay the bills.
  6. Joe September 26, 2013 at 1:21 am
    My pre-season prediction of them winning around the number of games as last year was correct. Charming.

Seriously, various fans have been on the Mets for stinking but then some fans (probably some overlap) want them to lose to get a protected pick. Doesn’t really work that way — the players want to win games.

The Reds really looked bad in this series. It took Sean Henn pitching for them to win one game of three. Pretty lame on their part. Cards/Pirates/Reds in that order was a pretty predictable matter some time back though the Reds closed the gap & made it seem like they might jump ahead. The one game playoff seems a wash.

7. MIC September 26, 2013 at 4:53 am
    METS AAA team: Well maybe not.
    – Jon niese, Dillon Gee, and Dice K are not AAA players and they pitched EXTREMELY well.

-Catching: JOE you are negligent, so I will take up the sword. Juan Centeno and TDA are seriously better than the AAA tandem of Buck and Recker.I have screamed for Ceneno for a couple of months now, as he is by far the best catcher in the organization. As for TDA, future 1st baseman…

Wifredo Tovar…has a Mets shortstop jumped from AA to majors in one season…hmmm. So Tovar was at home in Venezuela lounging gets called up to the majors, already hhas a game winning rbi, and makes the ESPN highlight reel in ONE WEEK…his first in the majors……Tejada who?

IF this catching tandem and shortstop are for real the financial implications to this team are huge. We couldd be really looking at 2005-2006 again with fresh blood, and impetus to get a couple of good veterans. As it is Johan Santana, Matt Harvey, Jon Niese, Dillon Gee, Zach Wheeler and possibly Dice K is not a bad rotation…health considered.

8. Izzy September 26, 2013 at 8:12 am
    Building a team on week wonders? Wonder how many there have been. Probably thousands.
    • Joe Janish September 26, 2013 at 10:33 am
      Where are Mike Jacobs and Shane Spencer?

In six minor league seasons, Tovar has a .319 OBP and .652 OPS. I realize he’s only 22, but, looking at those stats, I’m not going to get too excited about two games at the end of September — something tells me he has a few flaws. The only reason he jumped from AA to MLB is because the front office did a horrendous job of building MLB-ready depth at the position. Scratch that: that didn’t do any kind of job to build depth in the middle infield, and were lucky that Omar Quintanilla fell back into their laps.

9. DaveSchneck September 26, 2013 at 8:36 am
    It is not often we see doubleheaders in baseball these days, and even more rare that we see one on Murph, I mean Metstoday. Is this a traditional one or a day/night that requires two admissions?
    • Joe Janish September 26, 2013 at 10:28 am
      The best part is one needs not to be admitted at all!