Jose Reyes for Johan Santana?
So MLBTradeRumors is reporting that the Twins have initiated a deal whereby:
– Mets send Jose Reyes, Kevin Mulvey, and Hector Pellot to A’s
– A’s send Bobby Crosby and Dan Johnson to Mets
– A’s send Dan Haren to Twins
– Twins send Johan Santana to Mets
– Mets get Johan Santana, Bobby Crosby and Dan Johnson
– A’s get Jose Reyes and Kevin Mulvey
– Twins get Dan Haren and Hector Pellot
Got all that? If not, don’t worry, it ain’t happening. If it is, I’m likely not taking the #7 Train to Flushing in 2008. Santana would be very nice to have, but not at the cost of Reyes. Yes, from a practical standpoint, the Mets are probably better off with Santana in the rotation and Crosby at shortstop than not having Santana and having Reyes at short. I get that. But I don’t care as much about the practicality as I do about enjoying the games I’m watching. And even with Jose’s down year, and his occasional lapses in concentration, he is still one of my favorite players of all time due to his exuberance and everlasting smile. He remains one of the few players that I find “worth paying to see”.
I doubt highly that the Mets would pull the trigger on such a deal, and hopefully they won’t.
How do you feel about this possibility? (I promise not to chide you if you’re OK with it. No, really.)