Mets Farm System: Open Discussion
Loyal reader Micalpalyn has introduced some interesting points for discussion regarding the Mets farm system (and a final note on Rich Harden). Please read his thoughts below and post your response.
Metsblog has a post on Omar’s farm system. But I’m posting because the discussion there is abhorrent. I’d like to see it discussed here!
1. Would the Mets have made the same picks if they were not adhering to ‘slotting’?
2. Pelfrey was the best ML ready pitcher in his class. Was he rushed? was he just not as good as advertised? is he just a late bloomer? ME: I think he needs that AAA-level exposure that most teams offer (see john Maine, Ollie Perez).
3. Phil Humber: If you have read my comments you know I am still very high on Humber. The fact he was damaged at signing is a classic read on his college team (see Jeff Niemann et al)..I did some googling and found this link…while I don’t care particularly for Phil Hughes, Yovanni Gallardo would have been nice
4. I think we have discussed Pedro Beato before, but imagine if he WAS signed.
5. Last thought: Rich Harden. I like his upside but would Beane let him go yet?