Mets Game 2: Loss to Marlins

Marlins 5 Mets 4

So much for being undefeated.

Pedro pitched poorly then left in the fourth with a strained hamstring and a 4-1 deficit. He says he heard a “pop”.

The Mets came back to tie the ballgame, and the game remained tied until the bottom of the tenth. Matt Wise struck out the first two batters he faced, then fell behind 2-0 to Robert Andino. Wise threw a “get me over” floater to get strike one, and Keith Hernandez stated,

“you don’t want to throw it up there too often though you can get hurt upstairs.”

The final word had not left Keith’s mouth when Wise floated up another one in the exact same spot, which Andino jumped all over and sent into the leftfield seats.

Not sure whether to blame Keith, Matt Wise, or Brian Schneider.

Bottom line is this: at game time, it was an apparently healthy Pedro Martinez facing Rick Vanden who? and therefore all expectations that the Mets would be 2-0 on the season before the night was over. Unfortunately, they had to play the game and it didn’t work out that way.

Next game pits Oliver Perez vs. Andrew Miller in another 7:10 PM start.

comments please …

1. Coop April 1, 2008 at 9:33 pm
    I think it’s time to reinvigorate the discussion about whether Heilman should continue to work out of the ‘pen or start. This is getting ridonkulous already.
  2. Walnutz15 April 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm
    I just got a call from the Coat Rack attendant down in Miami.

They’ve just been advised to put a coat on Matt Wise’s “hanger” — that pitch is miserable.

3. joe April 1, 2008 at 10:13 pm
    Heilman can’t start because Willie wants him to appear in all 162 games … wait, maybe he can start every game and come out in the third inning?

I actually didn’t mind Wise’s first hanger, but what was the thinking behind the same exact pitch in the same exact spot at the same exact speed?

4. Walnutz15 April 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm
    Exactly, you can’t come with it again in the same location…..

Can’t say I didn’t see that coming.

Not happy about Pedro. At all…..

5. RockStar78 April 1, 2008 at 10:59 pm
    I was more frustrated with the lack of offense from the 5th inning on. I have a feeling the lineup after Beltran is going to be a source of frustration this season.
  6. joe April 1, 2008 at 11:12 pm
    Rock … hate to admit I share your concerns. Without Alou, and with Delgado not the hitter he used to be, the Mets lineup is not so fearsome after Beltran.
  7. isuzudude April 2, 2008 at 5:36 am
    It looked to me like the offense put plety of runners on base – hell, there were 12 LOB – and it also looked like there were lots of line drives hit right at defeners. The big problem, which the team faced quite a bit last year, was that they can’t hit with RISP. And I have no clue how you break out of that trend.

And I’m sorry, but Ryan Church has one of the worst approaches at the plate I’ve ever seen. He tries to pull pitches 3 inches outside, he takes strikes and swings at 0-2 balls, and he’s not paying attention to previous at-bats. Happened late in the game last night, where the 2 batters before him walked on 8 pitches or something, and he’s up there hacking at the first pitch in the dirt. I’m real afraid this guy’s going to cost us many late-inning rallies with his lame-brain tactics.

I still have confidence is Wise as a solid, reliable reliever…but I’m not sure if Willie feels the same way. Agree that 2-1 pitch to Andino was just begging to get crushed. With all the arms used last night because of Pedro’s injury, the pressure is on Ollie to step up and save the bullpen tonight.