As usual, more buzz and rumors than action, but there were some deals accomplished on the last day of the winter meetings. Here is a quick recap of the news.
- The Rangers signed Rich Harden to a one-year, $7.5M guaranteed contract that also includes incentives and a mutual option for 2011. Though I don’t believe Harden will make more than 20 starts, that’s pretty cheap for a pitcher of his capability. Maybe this sets the bar for Ben Sheets, and if so, the Mets best be in the bidding.
- The Astros signed setup man / closer Brandon Lyon to a 3-year, $15M deal. A bit much considering Lyon’s injury history. They supposedly “stole” him away from the Phillies. Thank goodness.
- The Astros also acquired former Met Matt Lindstrom for two minor leaguers, and signed Pedro Feliz to a one-year, $4M deal.
- The Braves traded Rafael Soriano to the Rays for Jesse Chavez. A good deal for both sides, as the Rays get a lights-out setup man/closer and the Braves lower their budget while getting an affordable and durable middle reliever.
- The Brewers signed reliever LaTroy Hawkins for 2 years, $7.5M. How does this guy keep getting multi-year, overpriced contracts? I’m guessing voo-doo.
- The Brewers also made the signing of Randy Wolf official: 3 years, $29.75M as originall reported.
- The Yankees re-signed Andy Pettitte. No surprise there.
- The Reds signed utilityman Chris Burke to a minor league contract. This may not be news to you but it should serve as an example for the Mets front office as to what one gives light-hitting utility infielders.
- The Red Sox acquired Boof Bonser, who had been DFA’d, from the Twins in return for a PTBNL or cash. Bonser had some promise a few years back, but is not the same since undergoing labrum and rotator cuff surgery last February.
- The Red Sox and Rangers are hammering out a deal that sends Mike Lowell to Texas in return for C/1B Max Ramirez. Not sure why the Rangers are eager to get Lowell when they have Michael Young and Chris Davis at the corners, but oh well. I guess the Red Sox will make a move for Adrian Beltre — or Adrian Gonzalez.
- The White Sox have made a formal offer to J.J. Putz. However he has other suitors at this time.
- A lot of hot air surrounding Roy Halladay. The Phillies, Angels, Red Sox, and others have been mentioned recently.
- The Mets tendered contract offers to Jason Bay and Bengie Molina, and traded their Rule 5 pick to the Dodgers for “cash considerations”. We can only assume that cash will go toward the “big” free agent signing of the winter.
- Yorvit Torrealba and Jason Kendall have received contract offers, and both as well as Miguel Olivo are being heavily considered by several teams. Meanwhile, the Mets remain the only bidders for Bengie Molina.
- The Royals released Mike Jacobs and John Bale
- The Mets signed
Chris Evert-Lloyd Clint Eastwood Clint Everts
I think that’s everything … if I missed something, please note it in the comments.
About the Author
Joe Janish began MetsToday in 2005 to provide the unique perspective of a high-level player and coach -- he earned NCAA D-1 All-American honors as a catcher and coached several players who went on to play pro ball. As a result his posts often include mechanical evaluations, scout-like analysis, and opinions that go beyond the numbers.